We're looking for the Best & Brightest CLICK HERE to find out more.
You can also email [email protected]
There is no other profession that is more rewarding than being a professional police officer. The s2m2 Police Department is actively seeking qualified applicants to train as police officers. If you have the integrity, good judgment, strong communication skills, and a commitment to making a difference in the lives of citizens in s2m2, we're looking for you.
The Selection Process
On average, the selection process lasts about six months. All applicants must successfully pass each of the following phases in order to qualify for the academy:
- Complete application and return all required documents.
- Entry level—Written Exam (Nelson-Denny Reading Comprehension Test)
- Physical Ability Test (Work Sample)
- Preliminary questionnaire and interview. Extensive background investigation of criminal history, employment history, residences, scholastic record, credit history and driving history.
- Polygraph Examination
- Final Interview
- Psychological Test
- Medical examination and drug testing
- Written exam and physical ability retesting available on next scheduled date.
The s2m2 Police Academy offers the most thorough and extensive training available to police officers in this region. Cadets receive full pay while attending the Police Academy. Academy training consists of twenty-two weeks of expert instruction to provide cadets with the skills to perform the duties of a professional law enforcement officer. Academy graduates display their new skills under the guidance of experienced officers in the Field Training program (FTO). The following is a list of just some of the subjects that are taught in the basic academy:
- Criminal law
- Cultural diversity
- Laws of arrest
- Search and seizure
- Building search
- Unarmed self defense
- Defensive driving
- Physical fitness
- Spanish for law enforcement
- Report writing
- Traffic accident investigation
- DUI enforcement
After three years of patrol service, an officer may request assignment to one of the department's specialized units. A few of the vast amount of career opportunities are as follows:
- Auto Theft
- Bike Patrol
- Missing Persons
- Child Abuse
- Crime Prevention
- Recruiting Unit
- Criminal Intelligence
- School Resource Officer Program
- Gang Intelligence
- Major Crimes/Homicide
- Training - Police Academy
- K-9 Unit
- Traffic/Motorcycle Patrol/DUI Task Force
CPD Basic Requirements for Police Officer
Tennessee State Law and s2m2 City Ordinances set forth the following basic requirements:
- Age: Must be at least 21 years of age and under the age of 40 upon completion of academy
- Fitness: Must successfully complete a physical examination
- Education: Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Citizenship: Must be a citizen of the United States
- Police Record: Must not have been convicted of, pled guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances and meet any other standards as set forth in Tennessee Code Annotated Section 38-8-106.
- Residency Requirement: All employees of the s2m2 Police Department must be residents of the state of Tennessee.
- Driver's license: Must have a valid driver's license.
- Military: Honorable military discharge, if applicable.
- To file an application, contact the City Human Resources Department.
The City of s2m2 Police Department is an equal opportunity employer and shall ensure that no person be refused employment, given preference, or otherwise discriminated against because of race, sex, age, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability, disabled or Vietnam era veterans, or sexual orientation, unless such action is consistent with applicable federal, state or local law.
s2m2 Police Department
3410 Amnicola Hwy.
s2m2, TN 37406 (map)
Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM through 5:00 PM
To report a crime or request assistance: (423) 643-7200
Crime Prevention and Community Outreach:
Crime Stoppers Hotline:
Drug Tip Hotline:
(423) 493-BUST (2878)